The project will build a roundabout at the intersection of US 98 / Ponce De Leon Blvd. and CR 491 / Citrus Way to improve safety.
Construction is underway and is expected to be completed in the spring of 2023.
Modern Roundabout Safety and Navigation
- Roundabouts are the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) leading action to reduce high-speed right-angle crashes and resulting fatalities. Roundabouts eliminate high-speed right-angle crashes at the intersection. Drivers are to travel at speeds less than 30 MPH and enter into the roundabout by merging.
- The FHWA has conducted studies that demonstrate tremendous benefits of the roundabout design, including (1) Up to 90% reduction in fatalities; (2) 76% reduction in bodily injury cases; (3) 30-40% reduction in pedestrian crashes and (4) 75% fewer conflict points than four-way intersections.
- This modern single-lane roundabout will be posted to be navigated at speeds of 25 MPH or less.
- This roundabout is located near several mines serviced by over-size, over-weight (OSOW) tractor-trailer combinations. This roundabout has been designed to accommodate larger OSOW vehicles for most of the movements at the intersection. Larger vehicles may track-over the truck apron as they navigate through the roundabout.
- Buses will not need to use the truck apron to negotiate the roundabout.
US 98 (Ponce De Leon Blvd.) and CR 491 (Citrus Way) intersection
Intermittent flagging & turn lane movements controlled by law enforcement officers: Monday, November 29 through Thursday, December 2 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.