|Work Type||New Tolled Roadway|
|Project Start||August 21, 2017|
|Construction Cost||$595.3 million|
|Estimated Completion||Spring 2024|
|Contractor||Archer Western - de Moya Joint Venture|
The Gateway Expressway project is constructing two new tolled roadways that will provide direct connections between US 19 and I-275, and the Bayside Bridge (north of 49th Street N) and I-275. Express lanes are being built on I-275.
SR 690, a new 4-lane tolled expressway connection from US 19 to the west of I-275. The new roadway is being built in the median of existing 118th Avenue North. SR 690 will be elevated over portions of 118th Avenue North, 49th Street North, 47th Street North, 43rd Street North, 34th Street North, the ramp at 31st Court North, and 28th Street North.
SR 686A, a new 4-lane tolled expressway from the Bayside Bridge to just west of I-275. It is primarily being built in the median of Roosevelt Boulevard between the Bayside Bridge and Ulmerton Road. An interchange at Ulmerton Road will be built as part of this project. The new roadway will continue south through the old Sunshine Speedway property until it merges with SR 690.
Express Lanes: In addition to the new toll roads, I-275 is being widened to create express tolled lanes (one lane in each direction) from south of Gandy Boulevard to 4th Street North. The express lanes will be in the median next to the existing I-275 general purpose (non-tolled) lanes. Express lanes are a congestion management tool used in urban areas to ease congestion, improve traffic flow, and give drivers travel options.
* Construction cost includes original construction contract amount plus approved contract changes. It does not include inspection oversite.
Other improvements include:
- Rebuilding existing Roosevelt Boulevard from the Bayside Bridge to Ulmerton Road as generally two one-way surface roads including a new access configuration and roads for the St. Pete-Clearwater International (PIE) Airport terminal.
- Repaving 118th Avenue North from US 19 to 31st Court North.
- Repairing or rebuilding sections of existing US 19 and 118th Avenue North including new ramps and bridges.
- Repaving the eastbound off-ramp from SR 690 to southbound I-275.
Work located in front of the St. Pete-Clearwater International (PIE) Airport includes:
- Building a new airport access road parallel to Roosevelt Blvd, new airport ponds, new signalized intersection at Terminal Boulevard, and a permanent connection at Fairchild Drive.
Removal of the 4th Street overpass at I-275 in St. Petersburg - YouTube
All tolls will be collected electronically using the SunPass prepaid toll program.
SR 690 and SR 686A Tolls
All vehicles are allowed on the Gateway Expressway. Toll rates will remain the same for all hours of the day and each day of the week. Tolls rates are based on the number of axles on your vehicle, with most passenger vehicles having two axles. All tolls on the Gateway Expressway (SR 690 and SR 686A) will be collected electronically using the SunPass Prepaid Toll Program or through TOLL-BY-PLATE.
I-275 Express Lanes
Only passenger vehicles, registered vanpools, and busses are allowed in the I-275 tolled Express Lanes. These lanes will be tolled from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Drivers pay the toll rate that is displayed on the overhead sign when they enter the tolled Express Lane and will never pay more than the price that is displayed at that time. Tolls in I-275 Express Lanes will be collected electronically using the SunPass Prepaid Toll Program only. Drivers traveling in the Express Lanes without an active SunPass or transponder are subject to $25 daily violation charge. Cash or TOLL-BY-PLATE payment systems will not be accepted in tolled Express Lanes.
- 4th Street entrance ramp onto northbound I-275 is open! The northbound 4th Street N (SR 687) entrance ramp to northbound I-275 (towards Tampa) reopened to traffic on Monday, September 18, 2023. Drivers are advised to be especially alert as motorists get reaccustomed to merging traffic in this area of I-275 approaching the Howard Frankland Bridge.
- The southbound I-275 ramp (Exit 32) to 4th Street North (SR 687) remains closed, Detour route: Motorists can use Exit 30 at Roosevelt Blvd. (SR 686) as an alternative. The exit ramp is expected to open in early 2024.
- I-275 access to 118th Avenue N. changed: As of November 9, 2022, I-275 access to westbound 118th Avenue N. is now permanently directed to the traffic signal at 31st Court N. The previous, direct exit ramp access onto westbound 118th Avenue N. east of 40th Street N. is no longer available. These are permanent changes that will allow for the future operation of the Gateway Expressway toll road system.
- US 19 ramp closed: The southbound US 19 ramp to Bryan Dairy Road / 118th Avenue North was permanently closed on August 25, 2021.
Bryan Dairy Road to be closed between 66th Street N and Northbound US 19 Frontage Road Thursday Night
Bryan Dairy Road will be closed to all traffic between 66th Street N. and the northbound US 19 Frontage Road from 9 p.m. Thursday, December 7 to 5 a.m. Friday, December 8, weather permitting. The southbound US 19 Frontage Road right turn onto westbound Bryan Dairy Road will also be closed. The closures are needed for Gateway Expressway bridge construction. [Should the work not occur December 7th, it may be rescheduled for Friday night, December 8th, Sunday night, December 10th, or Monday night, December 11th.]
Here are the detour routes:
Eastbound Bryan Dairy Rd. continuing onto eastbound 118th Ave. N.: Traffic will be detoured to turn right onto 66th Street N., go south to Park Blvd. (SR 694), turn left and go east on Park Blvd., turn left onto 49th St N. and go north to 118th Ave.
Westbound 118th Ave N continuing onto westbound Bryan Dairy Road: Traffic will be detoured to take northbound US 19, take the Ulmerton exit, turn left onto westbound Ulmerton Road (SR 688), turn left onto southbound 66th St. N. and continue south to Bryan Dairy Road.
Southbound Frontage Road to westbound Bryan Dairy Road: Traffic will be detoured to continue south through the Bryan Dairy Road intersection, turn left onto 110th Ave. N., turn right onto southbound 49th St N., turn right onto Park Blvd N., turn right onto 66th St. N. and continue north to Bryan Dairy Road.
Local traffic on 110th Ave. N. wishing to access eastbound 118th Ave. N.: Go east on 110th Ave. N., turn left onto 49th St. N. and go north to 118th Ave. N.
Local traffic on 110th Ave. N. wishing to access westbound 118th Ave. N.: Go east on 110th Ave. N., turn right onto 49th St. N., turn right onto Park Blvd N., then turn right onto 66th Street N. and go north to westbound Bryan Dairy Road.